Originally three separate tarns (a tarn is a pool of water with a permanent outflow) Low Tarn, Middle Tarn & High Tarn , Wordsworth’s ‘Guide through the district of the lakes’ (1835 edition) recommended walkers to come this way but passes the Tarns without mention.
Tarn Hows was created in 1863 by James Garth Marshall (1802-1873) who was the third son of the industrialist John Marshall and Member of Parliament for Leeds (1847-1852) who embarked on massive landscape improvements which incorporated the merging of the three Tarns.
In 1930 the Marshall family sold 4000 acres of their land to Beatrix Potter for £15,000, she in turn then sold half this land containing the Tarn to the National Trust and left the other half to them in her will.
Tarn Hows in 1965 was designated a ‘Site of Special Scientific Interest’
Tarn Hows from Coniston via Low Yewdale - Starting from Coniston, walk alongside Yewdale Beck, through woodland to the incomparable Tarn Hows.
Coordinates 54°23′N 3°02′W