Posted Monday, May 23rd, 2011 by admin
I always get excited as this time of year approaches-
The arrival of the legendry Formby Asparagus is the forerunner to English peas and broad beans, my three favourite green vegetables.
A couple of examples of how we use these delicious vegetables at Burlington’s Restaurant are:
Roasted Salmon Pave-Fresh garden peas, lettuce, smoked Cumbrian pancetta, with tangy Caesar dressing
- Some lovely contrasting flavours explode in this dish- the richness of the salmon is intensified by the roasting process – which is cut through by the sweetness of the peas and lettuce, the sharp yet rich sauce refreshes the palette
White Muncaster Crab Cocktail & beignet- formby asparagus “vichysoisse”
- Flaked local crab meat bound in a chive mayonnaise –topped with a fried crab & choux pastry puff- served in a creamy chilled asparagus, leek & potato soup
Asparagus Taster –crispy soft free-range egg- purple frizzee-hollandaise sauce
- This dish celebrates three contrasting varieties of asparagus- steamed Lancashire asparagus –from the village of Formby- char-grilled German white asparagus, (the most prized in their neck of the woods, chunky) French wild asparagus (resembling ears of wheat!) warmed in nonna Gemma virgin olive oil.
- They are treated in three different ways to preserve (wild asparagus-warmed)- intensify (white asparagus –char-grilled) and enhance-(English – steamed & buttered)
- They are served on a little purple frizzee lettuce – which has a taste of boiled jersey royals!
- And to finish a soft free-range egg from Bannerigg Farm in Windermere coated in crispy crumbs.
If we’ve tingled your taste buds why not come along to the restaurant and take advantage of our Gourmet Diners Club where up to four of you can dine at the restaurant and get up to 50% off your food bill.
Executive head chef
4 Weddings 5 Star award winning barbeque Beatrix Potter Beech Hill Champagne Christmas Competition cruise Facebook family food critics fresh GM Blog Gold Award gourmet & wine tasting night Gourmet Diners Club Head Chef High Biggin holiday Holker Hall Hotel Lake District Lake Windermere Levens Hall Living TV MD Blog Muncaster Castle New Website New Year Peter Rabbit Prize Draw Restaurant Rookin House special offers summer ball twitter Valentines Valentines Day video Wedding Venue win Windermere Windermere Hotel